Wednesday 20 March 2013

An idea on the subject of bases: great minds think alike

I wish somebody had told me about movement trays in my teens as it would have speeded up many a battle involving Airfix Napoleonics.  None of the pictures in the books or magazines at the time had them, so we didn't copy them.

Since then, the whole subject of bases has moved forward.  Often no longer mere bits of green card (often cereal packets in the Airfix days) they are now works of art in their own right, with sculpted add ons, tufts and other embellishment.   Movement trays have evolved as well, moving from the simple square or rectangle to all sorts of trays, especially ones used for skirmishers or weapon crews.  

At the Derby World Championships last year I bought a pack of the support bases (WGB-base 2) from Warlord Games.  They are in the webstore but you have to search for support bases or squad bases: try looking through their catalogue and I can't find them.

The pack contains 2x2 figure, 2x3 figure and 2x5 figure.  I thought that they would be ideal for Muskets and Tomahawks, particularly for Indians or Civilians/Militia who are likely to be in relatively large numbers.  I also thought that the ones in lines were very appropriate for walking down a wilderness trail (Some smaller movement trays - say 4 bases are a likely purchase at Salute 2013).


Now, it would seem that I'm not alone in this as a great idea, except that someone makes it even better.  

One of the blogs I follow is A Conflict of Interests except that what the author has done is to make some bases with just terrain on it.  The following picture is unashamedly taken from Jonas M's blog to illustrate the point I am trying to make.  


Suffer a casualty - just pop in a blank but scenic made up base.  So, lots more versatility.      

No comments:

Post a Comment