Monday 1 April 2013

Cleaning Fgures: Dettol, degreaser and hot water

Been busy with gaming this and that: I really should blog more frequently but once again a flurry of posts.

I came rather late to discovering that dettol/pinesol cleans metal figures much better than nitromors paintstripper and is alot safer to use.

However, I was presented with two problems recently.

Firstly some bases on some Redoubt Civilians with a few Front rank intended for Muskets and Tomahawks proved somewhat resilent to coming off.  I realised after a while that they were in fact plastic rather than the card I had supposed.   No idea what glue was used but it wouldn't "snap" off.  Since dettol I believe softens, if not melts plastic, then I wasn't willing to try the dettol bath as a first solution.  Second idea worked though - boiling water over the figures in a basin.


Next problem was with some other figures that had been undercoated in I know not what, but dettol would loosen it enough the produce a green gunge effect on the figure that wouldn't truly wash off, and scrubbing just seemed to gunge up the bristles.  What did work was kitchen "de greaser" followed by use of the old toothbrush and warm water.  

No comments:

Post a Comment