Sunday 17 March 2013

Lead and book mountains: the way forward

In the last issue (no34) (as it is to merge with Miniature Wargames) of Battlegames, Mike Siggins was musing about too many hobbies, too little cash and too little time, along with consideration of what figures was he actually using of late.

On the Very British Civil War forum there was a post about plans for 2013.   I think its that "spring clean" mentality alongside that "so little time, so much gaming I want to do" issues.

I did see a picture once of Mike's lead mountain.   Here's part of mine:



To be far, much of the stuff in the bottom picture is part painted, since that is what I have gamed with and I found the squarish "really useful boxes" to be a reasonably cheap way of storage, since they would generally (lance upright and standard bearers excluded) take cavalry and a Warhammer Ancient Battles 1500 pts army would generally fit in one, or at most two boxes.  More expensive than level arch files, but somewhat more durable and infinitely more stackable.   Foam, whilst nice just takes up too much space.  This is most, but not all of the figures - there are others elsewhere, along with scenery. 

The other thing is the book mountain - rules and historical books.   I seem to have succumbed to various "offers" over the past year, and the following pile are books that I haven't really even glanced through very much.


The left hand side are reference books (along with one work of fiction)

The pile on the right are rules and pretty much reflect my diverse tastes:
Gladiator (Games Workshop)
Hail Ceaser (and army lists) (Warlord) (although you should also add the other big Ancient rules out there of Clash of Empires and War and Conquest).  
Song of Arthur & Merlin (Ganesha Games)
Dux Bellorum (Osprey)
Deus Vult (Fireforge)
Bloody Barons (Peter Pig)
Pike & Shotte (Warlord)
Cutlass (Black Scorpion)
Waterloo (Games Workshop)
.45 Adventure (Ratrap)
Force on Force (plus the supplements Bush War and Classified)

I think it is time to start a bit of a clear out.  Fantasy will be the easiest - I'm very unlikely to play Warhammer Fantasy (for various reasons) and my figures are now "out of date" anyway, although the more knowing GW types refer to them as "classic" I think, rather than "what are they?".  

So, what will I be concentrating on for 2013?
A) Deciding which of the mass combat Ancient's rules I prefer.
B) SAGA armies
C) Muskets and Tomahawks
D) Pike & Shotte
E) Force on Force (Lots of scenarios have small figure count and the rules have lots of interesting ideas).  

No comments:

Post a Comment