Sunday 12 February 2012

The Dutch in 1940


Every so often I will come across a topic about which I know very little and use the power of the internet to research the answers.

Some of January disappeared in one such item – namely the Dutch in 1940.  My Dutch chum Jan had talked of the Black devils and paratroops and Holland wasn’t the walkover its lack of mention or time would suggest.  My knowledge on this was very poor – at least with Belgium I knew about the landings on Eben-Emael and the deployment of Brandenburgers (and how wearing an enemy uniform over your own but removing it before firing was within ‘acceptable” rules of war, dating back to Napoleonic periods and ships flying various nations flags…) but Holland ?  Nada, except that the Dutch resistance HQ in London was at De Hems which is one of my favourite drinking holes in the capital. 

The internet of course is your friend here..


Black devils is a reference to Dutch Marines at Rotterdam:



Re-enactor pictures here:

And was Holland the straw that broke the camel’s back ? 


Which then set me thinking about making Dutch Tram for use here, as well as in VBCW which has been on the back burner for a while.  
One ebay purchase later and we have some inspiration. 


I think if I take the roof off, remove the stairs, and give it a new roof and a repaint then it will do as a stand in for a single decker tram in 28mm scale.  

No comments:

Post a Comment